Friday, August 27, 2010

Nicknames

So my cousin Britt blogged about nicknames yesterday & asked for comments back about funny nicknames & stories, I enjoyed her post so much & decided it would serve best as a post in & of itself, rather than just a comment...so here it goes.

My funniest nickname of mine & most random would be "Beer". When I first became friends with one of my best friends, Rachel, she called me Schaefer, as did everyone else I was on drill team with. We had 4 Nicole's on the team, so all of us went by our last name to keep things less confusing. I was over at her house one day and her older brother, Dallas, who I'd never met before was home. She introduced me to him as Schaefer, and he was like--her name is really Schaefer? Like Schaefer Beer? He thought it was funny, so from there on out Dallas has called me Schaefer Beer, it soon caught on though and Rach and several of our other friends started calling me that, pretty soon the Schaefer part was lost and here I am, just "Beer."

It's sort of funny when my friends will out of habit, introduce me as Beer, or shout it out in public, or occasionally someone even calls me that at church. People's reactions are definitely priceless--some people laugh, and some give you really dirty looks. I don't think my mother is very fond of the name, but I find it kinda funny. Besides, if Lucille Ball likes it, I should be proud to call it my name, even if I don't drink :)

Several years ago Rachel, Jaynee, and Hope posted these funny pictures on facebook for my birthday.
I love these dorks...they've got great nicknames themselves :)

3 comments:

andrew and brittani said...

haha That nick name rocks! Does Tyler drive a blue Toyota Tundra. I just saw someone on the road and thought it looked like him. Happy Friday Beer!!

The Schaefer's said...

Haha no Toyota Tundra...he just must have a twin!

Lindsay Smith said...

That is a pretty funny nickname! I wonder what people think when they hear people call you that.

On another note, I never got to say that I was sorry for your lose. Your Grandma seems like a great person! I hope you are doing okay!