Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Twenty.Twelve.

I had to work this memorial day, which is nothing new for me, but usually I am lucky enough to only have to work a few hours and still get most of the day to play. This year I wasn't so lucky, but I still made the best of it. Tyler and I woke up early and headed to Pleasant Grove to go to my Grandparents' graves. I still feel their loss daily and so I love memorial day and the chance it gives to reflect on their lives again. It makes me sad knowing that my kids and Tyler will never know how sweet my grandma was or hear her cute little giggle, but I'm sure grateful for what she taught me and that I knew her. I will forever cherish the moments I had with her just before she got sick. She told me all about the day she got the call that she was getting my dad and how neat it was to bring him home. They'll also never know my grandpa and how funny he could be or know his love of music and they may never know what happens when you say "Grandpa, I'm your friend." I'm glad though that even though it won't be the same, I can tell them stories about the wonderful people they were.
I also feel very lucky that I knew so many of my great grandparents. We didn't have enough to go to the Springville cemetary, but thankfully we did get to visit my Grandma and Grandpa Bullock's grave too (they're buried right next to my Grandma and Grandpa Schaefer). I don't have a lot of detailed memories of them being that they died when I was in the 1st grade, but I do remember going over there house frequently, after dance and on Sunday. They had the funnest closet to play in and a fun tree swing in the backyard. They were so kind and loving...its no question where my Grandma got it from. My grandpa was and still is, no doubt, my Dad's hero. We still hear stories from him about time he spent with his grandpa and how he never went over there and didn't work. He always said, "If you don't work, you don't eat." Its sure great to know where you come from and how lucky we are to have known such great people!
Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day too!

1 comment:

Lindsay Smith said...

Good memories! It makes me want to write some of mine down.