Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Brace Face

So about a month ago I had one of the most dramatic days of my life..

I kid you not.
The last time I was at the dentist...the dentist asked me if I had been wearing my retainer.
And if not...I should have a new one made, because my teeth were putting pressure on each other & he would hate for them to slip...undoing all the work the orthodontist did clear back in the day.
Last month. I went to the orthodontist to get an impression made for my new retainer. Once this was done...problem solved. no worries no more about my pretty little smile right???
YEAH RIGHT!
This became a dramatic day in my life. I'm kind of a perfectionist about my teeth and love how everytime I go to the dentist, they rave about how lucky I am to have such a good looking smile and such good healthy teeth.
Anywayz.... I leave the orthodontist office with not a worry in the world and no questions were asked. I went to work and went on with my day.
Later in the afternoon I got a call from my mom. BAD NEWS!!!
My teeth have moved...not a lot but they've moved. You have 2 choices.
Dr. Nelson is happy to fix it for you for free...a couple months with braces.
MY REACTION: yeah right! whats choice number 2???
Retainer. But your teeth will stay the same.
GAH! I hate tough choices.
So I got to thinking...but the more I thought the more I stared at my teeth in the mirror KNOWING something is wrong with them. And lets face it. I just can't stand that. Even though no one else knows. And wouldn't really notice. But me knowing that they could look better is something I just can't live with. So I gave in...
But not without a fight.
I wanted invisaline braces...til I found out that my orthodontist is personally not a fan and they would actually take longer to fix my teeth...and they turn yellow. gross. so that was also ruled out. :( Needless to say I gave in, and planned to get them thrown on right after Kevin's wedding. He got married on a Saturday and my appointment was on Tuesday.
The closer it got...the sicker I got...I was dreading doing it. Monday rolled around and I decided that I was cancelling my appointment and that I would go the retainer route. Cuz braces? At 20...kinda makes me feel like a loser...
I procrastinated calling to cancel though and as the day went on I literally got sick.
With the flu. Perfect excuse to cancel right :)
Haha I wish. I called...told them I was sick and couldn't come in and that I also didn't want them on anymore...
..too bad for me I suck at saying no.
The assistant who answered was like, let me verify this with the doctor.
And she came back and informed me that he HIGHLY HIGHLY reccommended
I do corrective work.
Suck.
So I rescheduled my appointment...and said ok.
D-Day arrived yesterday.
So now I have braces. And they hurt. And they are ugly. and I do not like them.
Tyler named me brace face. How nice of him :)
Luckily I only need them for a couple of months.
But it is only day 2...and already I want to rip them off!
Did I mention they make me look like I am fifteen???
People usually think that I am younger than I really am anyways.
This isn't going to help.
At Kevin's wedding the photographer asked who was older...
Me or Natalie? SERIOUSLY. no joke.
That would be me. Hello. I'm 5 years older!!!
Her braces I thought would give it a way...right???
I'm doomed though, because she gets hers OFF next week.
So I'll be the sister with braces and she will be the one with Good teeth!
Bah. These dumb things better pay off.
FYI...I probably won't be posting pictures for a while...sad. I know. I love pictures.
But I don't love pictures with me in braces.
I already have plenty of those...and it was ok then...
because I was 11...12...13...NOT 20!
...And yes...I might be overreacting just a little bit.
I am after all my father's daughter.
I only have 6 brackets.
I don't know how many teeth I have.
But I know I have way more than 6.
But still...6 is 6 too many.


10 comments:

Chelsey said...

Drama Queen.. I love you. Im sorry but I think you look beautiful still

Rachel said...

YUCK! I'm so sorry, braces are the worst! At least it's for a short time.

Rachel said...

By the way . . . do you have a permanent retainer on the back of your bottom teeth? I have one and I've started wondering if it ever gets to come off or if this is a life long companion of mine now . . . anyone know?

andrew and brittani said...

Brace face! Brace face! I'm wearing my retainer tonight, for sure.

Bitters said...

Nicole,
You look GREAT!! And you don't look YOUNGER... It will be worth it in the end, if you didn't do it then they would get really BAD!! WE love ya and tell TY he is in the doghouse for calling you brace face.... love ya xo

maremee said...

Oh man I'm sorry. I hate braces. My teeth have moved and I'm dreading the day someone tells me they need to be fixed. ugh. So sorry.

Shantel Williams said...

Oh Nicole! That does not sound fun at all. It's only a few months though! You can get through it and then your teeth will be even more PERFECT!

The Mama said...

I'm sorry you have braces again Nicole, but you are such a beautiful girl that I can't imagine it looking that bad on you. I need braces myself. If I get some too would that make you feel better? :)

jordan.lindsay.jersey said...

You just scared the crap out of me. I'm going to start wearing my retainer more!

I'm sure you still look way cute with braces!

Tyler & Nicole said...

Chelsey: i know. your right. i am a drama queen.

Rachel: as to that retainer. yes i have it on the bottom. thank goodness! those teeth are still perfect. they're gonna put a permanent one on the top for me so i don't have to worry about them once this is all done. if you want yours removed...you can get it off. my mom still had hers til a few years ago. our orthodontist took it off for her when she asked about it.

Britt & Linds: I'm glad I am becoming such an inspiration. Tyler has also started wearing his retainer. if you can get yours in...thats a good sign :)

Sara: Your teeth look great...but if ya need them I'd be happy to have another brace face friend.