Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago.

10 years ago today I was 12 years old.
I got up early and got ready for school, as always.
I was almost ready to go and my parents had the tv on in their bedroom.
I went in there and my parents were watching the news.
I saw tower 2 on fire...I didn't even know what the world trade center was.
I watched as the 2nd plane hit into tower 1.
I remember my dad shaking his head and saying it was an act of terrorism.
He was pretty angry.
I didn't even know what a terrorist was.
I went to school where most kids didn't even know about it yet.
I sat in my 7th grade Art Class and we did nothing but watch the news.
We watched as both towers fell...we watched it over and over.
We went to the rest of our classes and watched it again and again.
We watched the coverage at the Pentagon.
I knew it was bad, but I couldn't really comprehend.
I really didn't understand how many people were inside or how disasterous the event was.
I remember after school my mom asking me if I was scared.
I wasn't sure what I was feeling, but it wasn't fear.
That evening my dad took Kevin and I to a medical study we were asked to participate in.
Several of the nurses and people there were from New York City.
I remember them talking about how long it took before they heard from their family.
One woman had just barely heard from her brother and how relieved she felt.
I remember the days after...just being a daze...watching as much of the news as I possibly could.
Hearing the death counts. Becoming obsessed with the information.
Still not knowing how to feel.
I remember feeling anger and being glad when we went to war.
I remember 4 years later, going past ground zero and wishing I felt even a portion of what people who were there felt. Just so I could understand how it was for them.


...that's how I Remember 9/11.

Today, I find myself again obsessed with the story...I've spent every minute I can watching the History Channel and any other program I can about that day. I keep thinking how I will be sure to tell my children about it and make them understand how horrific it was. At least as much as I can--I know I will never comprehend how awful that day was at ground zero. But I believe that history should never be forgotten.

No comments: