Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Kids Say the Darnest Things

So I am lucky enough to get to be in Primary every week. I recently started going back to my home ward where my mom teaches the 4 year olds in Primary. Lucky for me, her team teacher is not able to make it a lot of the time and since there has to be 2 adults in there I get to be adult #2 on a regular basis. Primary beats going to Sunday School and Relief Society, that if for sure!

I love singing all the songs and listening to the cute kids in Jr. Primary give the talks. But best of all, I love the funny things little kids say. Every week there is at least 4 or 5 funny new one-liners that make my day. So I figured it would be selfish of me not to share a few of them.

One week we were talking about baptism...and a little boy in our class very bluntly said, "I do NOT want to be baptized. I'm not doing it, my mom didn't do it so I don't think I will. I'm not going under that water!"
(His mom is in the Primary Presidency & obviously has been baptized!)

One week we were talking about Joseph Smith and the kids were supposed to answer some questions about Joseph. One question was When was Joseph Smith born? It was a pretty tricky question for all of them, so several had been guessing. One little girl got all excited cuz she knew the answer and she yelled it out, "He was born on his birthday!!!"

The week we talked about baptism was definitely a winner, we were asking the kids how they can be prepared to be baptized since they aren't old enough yet. The answers we kept bringing up were praying, loving our family like Jesus Loves us, reading scriptures, go to church, keep the commandments, etc. These were our "steps" to baptism. Later we got to walk on our "steps." Each one had a picture representing what we were supposed to do to prepare. When they walked on them, they were supposed to say what the picture represented. Their was a heart for love others. This cute little girl got to it and said, "Fall and Love and Get Married!" The rest of the lesson she kept using that as her answer, guess its no joke that girls in Utah in are in a rush to get married. Sounds like it starts at Age 4!

One lesson required a first aid kit as part of the object lesson, explaining the purpose of each item in the first-aid kit. Not thinking my mom pulled out RUBBING alcohol wipes. And said they were alcohol and told the kids what they were used for. Most the class had no problem with what had been said, but one little boys eyes got REALLY big & he looked at me and goes.."THIS IS ALCOHOL?" He was pretty concerned, so we had to explain the difference.

There is a really shy girl in the class and she hardly says a word. The lesson was about the Savior and if the Savior was on the earth, wouldn't they like to be with him if he said, "Come Follow Me?" This cute little girl, louder than ever before, says, "I WOULDN'T GO. I'D STAY HOME." and if you knew her, there was a lot of honesty in her answer. She's pretty attached to her mom and doesn't like to do anything out of her comfort zone.

We were supposed to make clay pots for a lesson, so we brought salt dough. Bad idea...the dough was great the night before but had sat in the car during sacrament meeting and condensation had built up. The clay ended up being a sticky gooey mess...all over the kids hands. We didn't even attempt to make pots with it. As we were cleaning up their hands...one little boy just kept shaking his head over and over and saying, "My mom is NOT going to be happy about this."

One little girl is always telling us funny little things about her family that don't pertain to the lesson at all, this last Sunday she told us that her family used to live in Tennessee BEFORE she was born. Then went on to inform us how much she loved living in Tennessee. I got a kick out of that one.

They keep me so entertained and love how innocent they are. If you ever need a little cheap entertainment, just spend 5 minutes in Primary!

1 comment:

andrew and brittani said...

Funny! I loved being a Primary teacher.